Tuesday, January 25, 2011

If a Cat Sat: A Kitty Meditation Contemplation

So, this poem was inspired by my cat, Shadow, who is a frequent meditator. One day last week, Shadow jumped up on my meditation cushion, just as I was about to sit down. Her form was so perfect, it looked like she was meditating herself – I just had to go get my camera. So often, she comes in the shrine room when I am practicing, to sit on my lap, and absorb buddhadharma.
So here it is:


If a cat sat in meditation,
what would be her contemplation?
Would she wonder about the birds in the trees,
wondering when they would eat or sneeze?

Would she wondering what's for lunch,
what lovely treats she'll get to munch?
Or would she think about nothing at all,
no thoughts or wonders, big or small?

Would she sit still, like a proud little bear,
sitting and breathing without a care,
allowing any thoughts to flow right through,
drifting away like the crowd in a zoo?

I wonder what goes on in there,
when she sits with her little kitty stare.
What can I learn from my darling kitty, dear,
who seems to easily stay in the now and here?

Sitting, breathing, letting thoughts fade away,
letting her mind simply rest and stay,
not bothering with thoughts, no problem at all,
just letting them be, both big and small.

So this is what I learned as my cat sat,
sat on my cushion, being where she's at,
being right here as her thoughts drift away,
carried with the breeze on a summer's day.


© ALL RIGHTS RESERVED, Angela Dawn MacKay 



No comments:

Post a Comment