Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Broccoli Apple Smoothies: A Tale of High Expectations

   I have a confession to make: I don't really like broccoli. Not really. I mean, I eat it and all – I'm vegetarian, and so I'm supposed to eat vegetables, but do I like broccoli? No, I don't. Not at all.
   But I do try to like it.
   Like a little kid, I tried to disguise its bitterness, cloaking it with a ton of apples and some soy milk, and grinding it up small into tiny green pieces, so many tiny green pieces that they lost their distinct broccoli shape and texture. But no, ground-up-smothered-in-apples-and-soy broccoli is still as bad as plain old broccoli. Yuck!
   But I promised myself, as I experimented with the recipe, adding soy milk and vanilla whey protein all on my own, that no matter how bad it tasted, I was going to drink it. And drink it, I am.
   I am taking a sip every sentence or two, my face grimacing with every swig, my stomach revolting to the hopeful combination I created.
   Why am I doing this, you might ask? The answer is… I don't know. I had high expectations, I guess. I dreamed of a way I could enjoy broccoli goodness without experiencing broccoli badness. There, I thought, this recipe is it! This is a way I can eat broccoli and enjoy, transforming the broccoli experience from bitterness to bliss – apples make everything better right?
    I haven't had a sip since the last paragraph – I am afraid to drink more. …
   Why do I keep going, you ask? The answer is…I don't know. A part of me keeps hoping it will get better, that I will get used to it and I'll be able to experience broccoli bliss after all.
    I guess I feel committed, like I SHOULD drink it – it's good for me, that it's a waste if I don't drink it, there are starving children in Africa.…
    I just took another sip, my whole body shuddered in response.
    Ahhhhh, now I know what the problem is – I just can't let go of the dream, the dream that one day I could guzzle broccoli smoothies like I guzzle chai lattes. It's time to face reality – this broccoli smoothie is just no good!
    And so I am about to do something bold and brave, indeed. I am going to sit and ask myself if I want to drink my curdled concoction. And the answer is a resounding No! No – I do not want to drink this broccoli apple smoothie! No, I don't. I will not drink it with a fox and I will not drink it in a box …
    But I am still hungry! So now what do I want? Ummm, I know… I'll eat banana as I make a broccoli omelet, smothering the vegetable in question in loads of curry powder, butter, and feta. Hmmm, maybe I am still chasing the dream of broccoli bliss.
Hmmm… So much for letting go and accepting things as they are…


© ALL RIGHTS RESERVED, Angela Dawn MacKay 


ALL RIGHTS RESERVED ©.www.angelamackay.com

No comments:

Post a Comment